- CRA head says it ‘wouldn’t be worth the effort’ to review all ineligible pandemic paymentson January 28, 2023 at 2:54 am
The head of the Canada Revenue Agency says it ‘wouldn’t be worth the effort’ to fully review $15.5 billion in potentially ineligible pandemic wage benefit payments flagged by Canada’s Auditor General.
- Canadian university faculty getting older, more female compared to 50 years ago: StatCanon January 28, 2023 at 2:40 am
Canadian university professors are mostly older and increasingly more female compared to 50 years ago, a new report from Statistics Canada has found.
- London Knights edge Ottawa 67’s in an actual Friday night shootoutby Mike Stubbs on January 28, 2023 at 3:34 am
Zach Bowen earned first star honours in his hometown as the Knights defeated the Ottawa 67’s in a shootout.
- Dozens turned away after sex, domestic assaults in Winnipeg, jeopardizing criminal cases: nursesby Shane Gibson on January 28, 2023 at 2:10 am
The lone full-time forensic nurse working at Health Sciences Centre’s Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program estimates 50 victims have been turned away since the summer.
- TTC riders don’t feel increased police presence, continue to ride with cautionby Roveena Jassal – Staff Reporter on January 28, 2023 at 2:28 am
One day after the police announced they were increasing their presence on Toronto’s transit with 80 officers, many riders on […]
- TTC to deploy 80 ‘highly visible’ staff a day to enhance transit safetyby Marco Chown Oved – Climate Change Reporter on January 28, 2023 at 2:11 am
In response to the recent spate of random violent attacks on the TTC, the city’s transit agency is ordering managers to patrol […]
- Palestinian gunman kills 7 near Jerusalem synagogueby Josef Federman and Isbel Debre on January 28, 2023 at 12:15 am
A Palestinian gunman opened fire outside an east Jerusalem synagogue Friday night, killing seven people, including a 70-year-old woman, and wounding three others before he was shot and […]
- Mexican fisherman decapitated by great white in first fatal shark…by Brad Matthews on January 27, 2023 at 9:41 pm
A Mexican fisherman diving for mollusks was decapitated by a great white shark in what is believed to be the first fatal shark attack of 2023, the shark attack tracker Tracking Sharks […]
- North Korea rips U.S. over decision to send tanks to Ukraineby Kim Tong-Hyung on January 27, 2023 at 4:03 pm
North Korea condemned on Friday the decision by the United States to supply Ukraine with advanced battle tanks to help fight off Russia’s invasion, saying Washington is escalating a […]
- Tristan Thompson Is Seen With Kim Kardashian At North’s Basketball Game After Mom’s Deathby Sara Whitman on January 28, 2023 at 3:13 am
Kim Kardashian walked a few steps ahead of Tristan Thompson as they walked into North West’s basketball game together on Friday.
- Hilary Duff Admits She’s Never Watched ‘Laguna Beach’ Despite ‘Come Clean’ Being The Theme Songby Audrey Rock on January 28, 2023 at 2:50 am
Hilary Duff made a surprising confession about the ‘Laguna Beach’ theme song — one she actually recorded!
- Priscilla Presley Challenges Lisa Marie’s Trust After Getting Replaced By Riley Keoughby Sabrina Picou on January 28, 2023 at 2:21 am
Two weeks after Lisa Marie Presley’s death, her mother, Priscilla, is reportedly challenging the late singer’s trust, which could effect her daughter, Riley Keough.
- Liz Garbus to Direct Hulu Limited Series Led by Ellen Pompeoby Women and Hollywood on January 27, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Ellen Pompeo is bidding farewell to “Grey’s Anatomy” in less than a month and now she’s sto a new project. Deadline reports that she’ll lead the Untitled Orphan Project, a limited series in the works at Hulu. Two-time Oscar nominee Liz Garbus is on board to direct. Created and written by Katie Robbins (“The Affair”),…
- Lifetime Greenlights “Black Girl Missing” From Star and Exec Producer Garcelle Beauvaisby Women and Hollywood on January 27, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Lifetime is partnering with the Black and Missing Foundation on a project that will highlight disparity among missing persons cases. A press release announced that the network has greenlit “Black Girl Missing” from exec producer and star Garcelle Beauvais (“Spider-Man: Homecoming”). Inspired by “actual stories of missing women of color,” it “tells the story of…
- France’s Le Collectif 50/50 Launches #CesarSoMale Campaign After Women Directors Shut Out of Awards Nomsby Women and Hollywood on January 27, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The Academy Awards aren’t the only prestigious awards ceremony with an all-male best director race. The César awards, France’s equivalent to the Oscars, announced nominees on Wednesday, and zero women are up for Best Director. As is the case with the Oscars, just one title helmed by a woman is in the running for Best…
- U.S. inflation and consumer spending eased in December, new numbers showby The Associated Press on January 27, 2023 at 2:49 pm
The Federal Reserve’s preferred inflation gauge eased further in December, and consumer spending fell — the latest evidence that the Fed’s series of interest rate hikes are slowing the economy.
- Aritzia is having a moment in the U.S. — but can it live up to the hype?by Paula Duhatschek on January 27, 2023 at 9:00 am
The Vancouver-based clothing chain Aritzia has recently exploded in popularity in the United States, with Bloomberg News recently crowning it the country’s “hottest fashion chain.” As it expands its footprint in the U.S., can the brand live up to the hype?
- Is your supermarket ‘climate-friendly’? Here’s how to tellby CBC News on January 26, 2023 at 7:18 pm
In this week’s issue of our environment newsletter, we look at how grocery story refrigerants are contributing to global warming and how air pollution is changing our brains.
- FortisBC Holdings Inc. signs agreement with First Nation over B.C. LNG projectby The Canadian Press on January 27, 2023 at 11:07 pm
- Most actively traded companies on the Toronto Stock Exchangeby The Canadian Press on January 27, 2023 at 10:12 pm
- S&P/TSX composite largely unchanged Friday, U.S. markets upby Rosa Saba – The Canadian Press on January 27, 2023 at 4:31 pm
- Canada’s Devin Gibson suffers first loss in Bare Knuckle Fighting Championshipby The Canadian Press on January 28, 2023 at 3:06 am
- Martin Necas leads Hurricanes past Sharks 5-4 in overtimeby Bob Sutton – The Associated Press on January 28, 2023 at 3:03 am
- Leafs fall to Senators after surprise switch in netby Kevin McGran – Staff Reporter on January 28, 2023 at 3:02 am
Ilya Samsonov got the start after a suspected injury to Matt Murray in warm-ups at Scotiabank Arena.
- Tkachuk strikes twice as Senators thump Maple Leafs in Battle of Ontarioby Joshua Clipperton on January 28, 2023 at 3:06 am
Brady Tkachuk scored twice and Anton Forsberg made 31 saves as the Ottawa Senators defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 6-2 on Friday night.
- Canadian men, women both feel the heat in losses at Sydney 7sby The Canadian Press on January 28, 2023 at 2:25 am
Canada’s men started well against Australia but conceded 17 second-half points in a 22-7 loss Friday at the HSBC Sydney Sevens in Sydney, Australia. The Canadian women were routed 34-7 by Fiji after losing 14-12 to the U.S. and 19-5 to Britain.
- More World Cup moguls gold for Canada’s Mikaël Kingsburyon January 28, 2023 at 2:00 am
Canada’s Mikaël Kingsbury captured yet another World Cup moguls gold medal scoring 85.37 on his final run in Saint-Côme, Que., Friday night.
- Navneet Alang: Will Apple eventually merge iPads and Macs into one device? Here’s why they shouldby Navneet Alang – Contributing Columnist on January 14, 2023 at 10:00 am
As time goes on, it will get harder to make the case for the distinction between tablets and computers, when people are looking for the best of both in one, Naveneet Alang writes.
- Time to launch a government run telco to force Rogers, Bell and Telus to lower prices? There’s already a precedentby Clement Nocos – Contributor on January 14, 2023 at 10:00 am
SaskTel — a publicly-owned telecommunications company — already enjoys significant market share in Saskatchewan, forcing the big guys to lower their prices to compete.
- Microsoft’s new AI can mimic any voice after just 3 seconds and some experts are worriedby Kevin Jiang – Toronto Star on January 12, 2023 at 3:58 pm
VALL-E, Microsoft’s new state-of-the-art AI language model, only requires a few seconds of short voice samples to generate a sound of what that voice might sound like.
- 52 million years ago Canada’s Arctic was home to pre-primates, paleontologists sayby CBC Radio on January 27, 2023 at 9:35 pm
Primitive primates living on Ellesmere Island didn’t have to deal with extreme cold, but would have had to adapt to the 6 months of darkness that falls the Arctic every winter
- Nuclear powered rockets could take us to Mars, but will the public accept them?by Bob McDonald on January 27, 2023 at 8:30 pm
Bob McDonald’s blog: NASA and DARPA are beginning development of a new fission rocket which will have to get over a high bar of safety. And it won’t be our first experience with nuclear power in space.
- India to get 12 cheetahs from South Africa next monthby The Associated Press on January 27, 2023 at 4:35 pm
India will receive 12 cheetahs from South Africa next month that will join eight others it received from Namibia in September as part of an ambitious plan to reintroduce the cats in the country after 70 years.