- Renters in Canada are facing the toughest market since 2001: CMHC reportby Saba Aziz on January 26, 2023 at 3:57 pm
The vacancy rate for purpose-built rental apartments declined to 1.9 per cent last year — the lowest level since 2001, according to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
- Tech layoffs: IBM latest firm to slash workforce by cutting 3,900 jobson January 26, 2023 at 2:54 pm
Chief Financial Officer James Kavanaugh told Reuters that the company was still “committed to hiring for client-facing research and development.”
- Big banks raise prime lending rates to 6.7% after Bank of Canada hikeby Craig Lord on January 26, 2023 at 2:49 pm
Prime lending rates at Canada’s big six banks rose by 25 basis points after the central bank’s eighth consecutive interest rate increase on Wednesday.
- Urban vs. rural: Food prices go up everywhere, but it’s way worse in some areasby Hannah Jackson on January 26, 2023 at 10:00 am
Global News went to four Ontario grocery stores to see how rising prices are impacting families trying to make ends meet, as part of its ongoing ‘Out of Pocket’ series.
- Global economic growth will slow to 1.9% in 2023: UNon January 25, 2023 at 5:57 pm
For the world’s least developed countries, the U.N. said growth is projected at 4.4% this year, about the same as last year but significantly below the UN’s target of 7% by 2030.
- S&P/TSX composite slightly down on energy and industrials; U.S. stock markets mixedon January 25, 2023 at 4:55 pm
The S&P/TSX composite index was down 29.95 points at 20,599.60.
- California DMV to digitize car title management system via Tezosby Cointelegraph on January 28, 2023 at 2:40 am
- Video shows Memphis police officers kicking, beating Tyre Nicholsby Reuters on January 28, 2023 at 2:37 am
- US Senator Ted Cruz pushes for crypto in Congress … using snacksby Cointelegraph on January 28, 2023 at 2:20 am
- U.S. secures deal with Netherlands, Japan on China chip export limit- Bloombergby Reuters on January 28, 2023 at 2:12 am
- Bitcoin will hit $200K before $70K ‘bear market’ next cycle — Forecastby Cointelegraph on January 28, 2023 at 2:00 am
- Nestle unveils $100 million Colombia investment to grow capacityby Reuters on January 28, 2023 at 1:55 am
- Twitter says users will be able to appeal account suspensionby Reuters on January 28, 2023 at 1:50 am
- Tesla chair testifies she would have quit if Musk had lied in 2018 tweetsby Reuters on January 28, 2023 at 1:45 am
- Elon Musk sets aside his strained relationship with Joe Biden to meet with top White House aidesby Darlene Superville, The Associated Press on January 28, 2023 at 1:35 am
The two haven’t had the smoothest of relationships, with Biden, a big supporter of labor unions, disappointed by Musk’s refusal […]
- Amazon Fresh shoppers will soon have to buy a lot more to get free Prime deliveryby Haleluya Hadero, The Associated Press on January 28, 2023 at 12:55 am
Customers who get their groceries delivered from Amazon Fresh—and pay less than $150—will be charged for delivery.
- Memphis releases video showing savage 3-minute police beating of Tyre Nichols that led to his deathby Adrian Sainz, The Associated Press on January 28, 2023 at 12:27 am
The footage shows Nichols being held down, struck by the Black officers and screaming for his mother.
- Custodia, a crypto bank in Wyoming, denied membership in Federal Reserve Systemby Ben Weiss on January 27, 2023 at 10:37 pm
The membership denial is a setback for the crypto bank, but its application for a master account, a means for banks to settle […]
- Pandering to an audience of ravens and spying like a fish: Animals have all sorts of sophisticated ways to maintain power in the wildby Lee Alan Dugatkin, The Conversation on January 27, 2023 at 10:07 pm
“I’m an animal behaviorist and evolutionary biologist who has been studying complex social behavior in nonhumans for 30 […]
- What’s CH.1.1? Meet ‘Orthrus,’ a new wildcard Omicron strain with a concerning Delta mutationby Erin Prater on January 27, 2023 at 9:42 pm
CH.1.1 is an Omicron with a concerning Delta mutation—not quite a “Deltacron,” but still potentially concerning, experts say.
- Chevron Rides High Oil Prices to Record $35.5 Billion Annual Profiton January 27, 2023 at 10:26 pm
The oil company banked historic profit last year as the pandemic receded and the war in Ukraine pushed oil prices to multiyear highs, but quarterly results fell short of analysts’ expectations
- Intel Shares Drop After Disappointing Earningson January 27, 2023 at 10:14 pm
The chip maker reported a loss in the fourth quarter as shifting demand and a battle for market share darkens its outlook in the months ahead.
- CVS, Walmart to Cut Pharmacy Hourson January 27, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Operating schedules remain a “pain point” for pharmacists as drugstore chains seek to improve the work environment.
- Consumer Spending Fell 0.2% in Decemberon January 27, 2023 at 9:38 pm
U.S. households cut spending in December, adding to signs of an economic slowdown. Underlying inflation cooled to its slowest pace since October 2021.
- Goodyear to Cut 500 Jobs, Warns of Earnings Shortfallon January 27, 2023 at 9:31 pm
The tire maker is shedding roughly 5% of its salaried staff around the world, joining a raft of companies trimming their head counts.
- Western Nations Discuss Price Caps on Russian Oil Productson January 27, 2023 at 9:03 pm
The West is preparing to impose a cap for products such as diesel and one on low-value products like fuel oil.
- Boeing Plans to Hire 10,000 Employees in 2023on January 27, 2023 at 7:41 pm
The plane maker’s workforce rose 10% last year, but it will slow the pace of hiring as it continues to work to boost deliveries of its 737 MAX and 787 jetliners.
- Zahawi allows HMRC to pass his tax details to PM’s ethics adviserby Business Matters on January 27, 2023 at 12:12 pm
Pressure on the Tory Party chairman increases as the head of HMRC says there are no penalties for ‘innocent errors’. Read more: Zahawi allows HMRC to pass his tax details to PM’s ethics adviser
- Will force majeure clauses strike the right chord during industrial action?by Business Matters on January 27, 2023 at 9:32 am
With the increased threat of industrial strike action looming across the UK, we consider whether a force majeure clause can strike the right chord during such action. Read more: Will force majeure clauses strike the right chord during industrial action?
- TSB staff and bosses to share £29.8m bonus pot after record profitsby Business Matters on January 27, 2023 at 9:20 am
TSB’s 5,700 staff and executives are to share a 10% bigger bonus pot this year, after rising interest rates pushed the bank’s annual profits to record highs. Read more: TSB staff and bosses to share £29.8m bonus pot after record profits
- NatWest to close another 23 branches in England and Walesby Business Matters on January 27, 2023 at 9:13 am
NatWest is to shut another 23 branches in England and Wales, adding to a raft of high street banking closures already announced this month. Read more: NatWest to close another 23 branches in England and Wales
- Shell puts 2,000 UK jobs at risk with review of Shell Energy retail divisionby Business Matters on January 27, 2023 at 9:06 am
Shell has put more than 2,000 jobs in the UK at risk after launching a “strategic review” of its domestic energy and telecoms supply division. Read more: Shell puts 2,000 UK jobs at risk with review of Shell Energy retail division
- British taxpayers get stake in AI checkout firm & whisky distillery as it backs 53 new companiesby Business Matters on January 27, 2023 at 8:50 am
British taxpayers have become shareholders in a further 53 companies backed by a government rescue funding scheme. Read more: British taxpayers get stake in AI checkout firm & whisky distillery as it backs 53 new companies
- How we react to lapses will define Air India: CEOby Saurabh Sinha on January 28, 2023 at 1:19 am
- ET Now launches ETNowNews.comon January 28, 2023 at 1:12 am
- Inflation easing, current a/c deficit manageable: RBI governor Dason January 28, 2023 at 12:33 am
RBI governor Shaktikanta Das has said that inflation has started to soften, and the current account deficit was “eminently […]
- Bankers: Adani Group’s debt secured by cash flows, assetson January 28, 2023 at 12:26 am
Bankers say that Adani Group’s borrowings are secured by assets, and group companies have the required cash flows to service […]
- Stock market investors lose more than Rs 10.73 lakh crore in two trading sessionson January 27, 2023 at 1:52 pm
Investors’ wealth eroded by more than Rs 10.73 lakh crore in just two trading sessions as the market slumped and benchmark BSE […]
- Sebi increases scrutiny of Adani group: Reporton January 27, 2023 at 12:33 pm
Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has increased scrutiny of deals by the Adani Group over the past year and will […]
- Tata’s Air India to seal half of jumbo plane order: Reporton January 27, 2023 at 10:40 am
Air India will on Friday seal half of an order for some 495 jets with Boeing and engine suppliers General Electric and CFM […]
- Adani begins big share sale as short seller triggers $37 billion routon January 27, 2023 at 6:59 am